|Wrestling Dontaku 2009|
|Promotion||New Japan Pro Wrestling|
|Date||May 3, 2009|
|Venue||Fukuoka Kokusai Center|
|Wrestling Dontaku chronology|
Wrestling Dontaku 2009 was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) promoted by New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW). The event took place on May 3, 2009, in Fukuoka, Fukuoka, at the Fukuoka Kokusai Center. The event featured nine matches (including one dark match), one of which was contested for a championship. It was the sixth event and first in eight years under the Wrestling Dontaku name.
Wrestling Dontaku 2009 featured nine professional wrestling matches that involved different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines. Wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in the scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
EventEditCIMA from Dragon Gate worked the event as an outsider. In the semi main event of the evening, Giant Bernard and Karl Anderson defeated Tencozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima) to become the number one contenders to the IWGP Tag Team Championship. In the main event, Hiroshi Tanahashi successfully defended the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against the winner of the 2009 New Japan Cup, Hirooki Goto, and afterwards nominated Manabu Nakanishi as his next challenger.
Three days after Wrestling Dontaku 2009, Manabu Nakanishi defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship for the first time in what was considered a major upset.
|1D||Mitsuhide Hirasawa defeated Nobuo Yoshihashi||Singles match||06:19|
|2||Unione (Milano Collection AT and Taichi) defeated Apollo 55 (Prince Devitt and Ryusuke Taguchi)||Tag team match||10:15|
|3||Akira, Kazuchika Okada and Wataru Inoue wrestled CHAOS (Black Tiger, Gedo and Jado) to a draw||Six-man tag team match||09:39|
|4||Wild Child (Manabu Nakanishi and Takao Omori) defeated Legend (Masahiro Chono and Riki Choshu)||Tag team match||12:07|
|5||CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura and Toru Yano) defeated G.B.H. (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma)||Tag team match||11:32|
|6||CIMA and Jushin Thunder Liger defeated Koji Kanemoto and Tiger Mask||Tag team match||13:03|
|7||Yuji Nagata defeated Takashi Iizuka||Dog Collar Chain Deathmatch||20:07|
|8||CHAOS (Giant Bernard and Karl Anderson) defeated Tencozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima)||Tag team match to determine the number one contender to the IWGP Tag Team Championship||18:44|
|9||Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) defeated Hirooki Goto||Singles match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship||29:39|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 (in Japanese) New Japan Pro Wrestling. http://www.njpw.co.jp/match/detail_result.php?e=261. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Wrestling Dontaku 2009". Pro Wrestling History. http://www.prowrestlinghistory.com/supercards/japan/newjapan/dontaku.html#2009. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 (in Japanese) Nikkan Sports. May 3, 2009. Archived from the original on May 7, 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090507093108/http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/report/2009/nj_090503.html. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Golden, Hunter (May 6, 2009). "Rising Sun Soliloquy Newsletter #23". Wrestleview. http://www.wrestleview.com/uncategorized/9602-rising-sun-soliloquy-newsletter-23/. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- ↑ Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks, Inc.. Discovery Communications. http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/pro-wrestling.htm. Retrieved September 13, 2014.